Road to Eugene: 5.5 weeks ’til race day

I’ve missed the 6-weeks-away post due to vacation travel and now catching up on life. Here’s the rundown on what’s been going on:

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: Easy 3-ish miles before the Sounders’ friendly vs. Club Tijuana.

Wednesday: Morning flight out of Seattle to D.C. Arrived into Dulles Airport around 5:00 p.m. local time and then to our friend’s place an hour-and-a-half later. We grabbed dinner and then I went to sleep. No time for a run.

Thursday: I set my alarm for 7 a.m. to get a run in before the full day of activities. But, you see, this would mean it was really 4 a.m. Seattle time. I woke up and went back to sleep. By the time I woke up an hour later, there was no time to run. We hit the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum and did a lot of walking around the Mall. My friend joked that Washington D.C. should be called Walkington D.C.

Recognize anything down there? One starts with "Spirit of -"

Recognize anything down there? One starts with “Spirit of -“

Friday: The only reason I got up to do my pre-tourist-activities-run was because Bryce tagged along with me. We did about 3 miles in the rain. It was cold. I was not in the best of spirits. Shorts was a poor decision. But, hey, we were running in D.C.! We did a semi-private U.S. Capitol tour in the morning — I had arranged it with my state senator (Patty Murray)’s office. Much better going this route than through the public tours! We spent the afternoon with my cousin and her friend checking out all the Impressionism art at the National Gallery of Art. Then we checked out the National Archives and walked by the Obamas’ residence.

There's a picture with my eyes open, but this one is funnier.

There’s a picture with my eyes open, but this one is funnier.

Saturday: 14-mile tour of Washington D.C. including lots of monuments, Georgetown waterfront and other parts of the city! Along with Bryce, our friends Andy and Leah came along — they were our running tour guides 🙂 It was super windy along the water and at times very chilly (um, hello 30-degree temps!) but I was thankful that it was sunny and not rainy out. Plus, running in a pack around D.C. was quite fun. The miles flew by.

Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial)

Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial)

Sunday: No running happened. We went to the National Zoo and visited Bao Bao. At night, Bryce and I did a walk along the Mall around midnight. Saw one runner and two tourists on bikes.

Bao Bao, the baby panda, being a baby panda.

Bao Bao, the baby panda, being a baby panda.

Monday: Went to the American History Museum and the Holocaust Museum before saying good-bye to our nation’s capitol. It was a sunny, and finally warmer, day. Arrived back in Seattle around 9:15 p.m. local time. No running was done.

Our vacation is over!

Our vacation is over!

Tuesday: Tried to catch up on work and life. No running was done. No blogging was done.

Wednesday: Finally ran! Did a fast 3 miles — would have liked to go longer but had an evening class to attend.

Thursday (today): Plan on doing 5-6 miles in a few hours!

People kept asking me “why” I was going to D.C. or if I was going for work. I had never been to D.C. so I figured it was time that I go and remind myself of our nation’s history — and you know, try to find the lion statue from the credits of “House of Cards,” see baby zoo animals and visit with old friends. Plus, Bryce and I really like museums!

It was a good trip. And, now that I’m back home, I will focus on my running again!


3 thoughts on “Road to Eugene: 5.5 weeks ’til race day

  1. Pingback: Road to Eugene: 5 weeks ’til race day | Ready, set, KO!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s